Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Day and Official Adoption Day




First topic of the day was "SANTA".  Billy being the awesome Dad that he is slept on the floor in the living area of our suite.  There is a slide door to close off the bedroom/bathroom area.  All three girls and I slept in the bedroom.  I heard Mary Bailey cry out a few times during the night.  She does this fairly often but at one point I realized she was really crying.  I asked her what was wrong and she said that she was "scared that Santa would not come".  It was still dark outside but I told her to get up and see if he had been here! He had come and she was SO excited.  It was such a small Christmas materially than they usually receive but you would never have known.  They received a Chinese "Barbie" with clothes, one of those pillows that lights up and I can't think of what they are called now,  and numerous books and activity sets.  Maya Grace received a duplo block set, books, and flash cards! They went right to work playing.

We dressed the girls in their Christmas outfits.  We realized the cute red shoes that we had brought for Maya Grace were HUGE so she sported her also too large tennis shoes from the orphanage with her Christmas dress.  She did not care at all!  Photo in the lobby on the way to breakfast.

I will add here that Maya Grace went to sleep very easily and slept all night long.  She sucks two of her fingers on her right hand when going to sleep.  We had the breakfast buffet prior to meeting our guide.  This little one can eat.  She ate, and ate, and ate.  I finally stopped feeding her as I was afraid she would get sick in the van on the drive.  

We met our guide and drove to the Civil Affairs office.  On Monday when we received Maya Grace we signed a form to enter into the "Harmonious Period".  Today she officially became our daughter.  We went before a notary who asked why we wanted to adopt Wang Xiao Xing.  He asked how many biological children and adopted children we have.  There were a few other questions but I can't remember them.  We then went to the other official office.  She asked if we wanted to proceed with the adoption.  All papers were signed and we promised again to not abandon, abuse, nor discriminate against her.  We left with her being officially Maya Grace XiaoXing Campbell! 


I could not have asked God for a more perfect Christmas gift - that of a child.  A child very wanted and loved before she was ever placed in our arms.  From the time I was in high school I wanted a large family.  I love children.  One year after Andrea was born I became pregnant and had a miscarriage at 14 weeks.  I was never able to conceive a child afterwards.  I was extremely thankful for Andrea but grieved heavily that she was an only child.   When she was twelve Thomas entered our family via adoption.  Rachel entered our family when I married Billy.  We have three grandchildren.  To have three more blessings from China and knowing God's plan for my life all along brings me to tears.  My heart is so full.  

After Civil Affairs we went shopping for a bit.  Maya needed shoes, clothes, and diapers.  I had asked for sizes from the orphanage but I overestimated her size.  She is wearing an 18-24 months.  It is also colder here that I thought so we needed warmer clothing and a cap for her.  I told our guide I wanted cheap.  I told her I bought all of my girls clothing at home at a thrift store or consignment and never paid full price.  She took us to an area where a Children's Hospital is located.  There was at least a block of all children's related shops.  I was able to get shoes for $8 US a pair and two outfits which had the heavy padded pants, top, and jacket for around $10 US each. We returned to the hotel.  Daddy brought lunch back from Pizza Hut! OK never in my life in the US have I seen noodles from Pizza Hut with tenacles and other unidentifiable objects! 
The girls napped.  I must share this beautiful photo.  Mary Bailey is watching Maya Grace sleeping.  
We met our guide late in the afternoon to travel to the Police Department which is where you go to apply for a passport.  The waiting area was full of other adoptive families as well.  We were not allowed to take photos in the building.  We returned to the hotel and I took the girls to the outdoor play area at the hotel.  I was able to see Maya's gross motor skills at work.  She can run and climbed on the little stairs up to the slide .  Billy had the camera with him so I did not get any photos.  We went out and walked around the hotel and went to Watson's and 7/11.  Daddy went back to Jusco and bought more noodles for dinner.  We called Nana and chatted with Andrea.  Oh, and Mr. Greg called!  It was an awesome yet very different Christmas Day in the People's Republic of  China. 


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the photo of Mary watching Maya - so sweet. Sounds like you are all doing wonderful - so glad!!

    ReplyDelete