It is 5:05 am on 12/26 as I am writing this post. Everyone else is still sleeping. I am one blessed woman today. I would not trade my life for anyone else's in the world. My heart is full.
On Monday morning prior to leaving for the Civil Affairs office my emotions were all over the place. With Mary Bailey and Anneli's adoptions I felt pure excitement and a little nervousness. With Maya Grace I felt excitement but over-riding that was much nervousness and a major amount of anxiety. The feeling was very different. I discussed my feelings with Billy and he was feeling the same way. I think the difference was that I did not know what to expect. Mary Bailey and Anneli were 11 months and 10 months at the time of their adoption. They were healthy children. Maya Grace is older and is a child with special needs. I think the unknown was at the base of my feelings. The closer the time to leave came which was 2pm the more anxious I became. Prior to walking out the hotel door we all four joined hands and prayed for God to be present with us and to thank Him for the "gift" that we were about to receive. Mary Bailey asked for a "group hug" and left our hotel room and proceeded to the lobby.
We met our guide and traveled in a van to the Civil Affairs Office.
It was such a wonderful feeling returning to the same building where we saw Mary Bailey for the first time. Mary Bailey is from Guangdong Province as well. The room had been redecorated but still the same. There were around twelve other families there who were receiving their children as well. We had to complete a few forms and sign our names. We had to write a brief statement as to why we wanted to adopt Wang Xiao Xing and that we would never abandon, abuse, or discriminate against her. There were families from the US, France, and Australia who were receiving their children. One family from Australia had waited in the NSN program and had been waiting over six years for their daughter. Many tears of joy were witnessed in that room. There were also tears of fright from the children. Maya Grace was not present when we arrived. We waited and waited and Billy paced and paced. (Rachel if you read this you will laugh! You know your Daddy's normal nervous/stressed/anxious behavior). After what seemed like an eternity we learned that the orphanage workers and children were delayed by traffic. Other families were leaving and yet we waited. We along with one other family who was receiving an 11 yo from the same orphanage were the last ones there. We were watching the entrances very closely. FINALLY an elevator opened and there was our Maya Grace, the 11 year old girl, and the orphanage workers. My heart went straight to her the minute I saw her. All fears, doubts, and anxiety immediately vanished. I bent down to speak to her but I was told that she had vomited on the way there so the workers whisked her off to the restroom to clean her. Billy had the camera so the first shot of her was exiting the restroom area. As you all have likely seen on Facebook she came sporting a headband with "fake" brown curly hair. She looked absolutely adorable in her multi-layers of clothing and long hair! She was holding all of her earthly belongings in that one red bag.
I wanted to immediately scoop her up and hold her but knew it would frighten her. The girls and I stooped in the floor to talk to her. She was turning into her nanny and did not want to come to me.
The nanny handed her over. I held her and she screamed and cried. We walked over and sat on the sofa. The nanny tried to comfort her for a few minutes and then walked away. Maya's eyes were searching the room for her. She did not try to get out of my lap but was arching her back and screaming. It was absolutely gut-wrenching. Billy walked away. He can never stand to see a child cry. After about fifteen minutes the nanny walked back over. Maya remained in my lap and stopped crying. Although horrible to witness the crying was a very healthy sign. It should that she had an attachment to the nanny. If she had shown no signs of grief this would have been concerning. The nanny gave her a photo album which is one that we had sent to her via a care package. She started showing Maya Grace the pages. She looked at our photo and pointed and said "mama" and "baba". They had obviously prepared her as best they could. She knew our faces. In the album were photos of several of her orphanage mates. She pointed and called them by name. She never cried from that point on. We had taken Gerber puffs and she started eating those. The nanny obviously has much love and concern for the children. She asked if she could have our contact information and asked that we please stay in touch with them. A little girl Ruthie was recently adopted by a family in Illinois. The nanny asked if I knew how Ruthie was doing. This mom had sent a message for me to give them so I told her. The nanny said that she hopes all children from Huadu SWI can form a group and come back and visit in the future. I pick up vibes easily from people and am usually fully correct. This nanny gave me a very warm feeling and obviously has a very kind heart. She went over Maya's schedule with us and answered all of our questions. (All communication was done via our awesome guide Sarah). The nanny and other workers asked to take "family" photos.
*Females in the red and white coat are nannies. Sarah our guide is in the black coat.
I held Maya Grace in my lap on the way to the hotel. Car seats are not required in China. I pulled out my cell phone to take a photo and was viewing it. She immediately reached for it and put her little finger on the screen and made the scrolling through photos option! This little one has experience with a cell phone. We returned to the hotel and Maya Grace immediately started playing with the toys. We brought a set of Ikea stacking cups and she went right to work playing with them. Mary Bailey and Anneli were so excited! They were all over her. She only cried one time and that was when Mary Bailey took my iphone from her. Billy walked to Jusco and brought back noodles and dumplings. He also bought formula for her which she was being given by the orphanage. She ate very well. I bathed her and she preferred standing and not sitting in the water. I put her in her pjs and gave her a bottle and she was off to sleep at 8:30p. She slept all night long beside me without waking until 6:30am. She sucks two of her little fingers while sleeping. I can't tell you how amazing it feels to finally have her. I know God is likely tired of hearing me say "Thank You".
We had prayed and asked others to pray that her heart would be prepared for us and that her grief would be minimal. Our prayers and yours were heard. For this we are so extremely grateful. Love to you all and Merry Christmas!
It has been such a wonderful experience to follow you on this journey, Angela! We are at my mom's and I have not been able to comment until now because of limited computer access, but I have been reading every post you've made and sharing with the family. We are so excited and proud for you, and can't wait to meet Maya Grace! Thank you for sharing the details of this beautiful event. It has made our Christmas very special. Love to you all, Janie H.
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU LORD!! She is a beauty!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for posting your amazing journey. You are inspiring countless souls.
ReplyDeleteso sweet to see all of you together!
ReplyDelete