Saturday, December 29, 2012

Thursday - Medical Exam

We met our guide early this morning for the purpose of traveling to the Guangzhou International Travel Health Care Center.  The clinic was extremely crowded with few seats being empty and many people standing.  I noted a group of women all dressed in bright pink pants and tops.  My first thought was that they were a team of some kind.  Our guide told us that everyone being seen at the clinic was there for the purpose of obtaining a medical to meet the requirement to be allowed to enter the USA.  It was humbling.  It was also surreal.  As mentioned the waiting area was extremely crowded and our guide ushered us by everyone to a cordoned off area with a sign that read "adoptive families only".  We were the only ones present.  Within minutes medical professionals appeared.  A nurse weighed and measured Maya Grace.  An MD asked me how her appetite was and I told him it was "HUGE".  The child will not stop eating.  This is normal for a child from an orphanage.  He then listened to her heart and lungs and both were reported fine.  I then placed her on the exam table and he looked her over in seconds.  We then waited back in the separate area.  After a short time we went into a room labeled "vaccinations".   A TB skin test was placed in Maya's left area.  She cried and it hurt my Mommy's heart.  We then went back in the separate area and then within minutes our guide took us to the Ear, Nose, Throat section.  A sat in a chair with her in my lap.  A toy was shaken at her ear and she turned toward it.  She fought against the man trying to look in her ear and there was absolutely no way that he did an accurate exam of them.  He then put a tongue depressor in her mouth and she fought him again and he looked for maybe one second.  After that we were finished.   We were told to return on Saturday for the TB skin test to be read.  OK FOLKS! America has something else they can learn from the Chinese people.  I mentioned the females in the bright pink suits and then I later saw men in blue ones.  Our guide told us that this is what patients are required to wear for their exams and for X-rays.  Each patient removes their street clothing and puts on the top and pant which resembles a track suit.  Why do we have to wear open backed hospital gowns when getting an exam or X-ray???? This would definitely be preferable!

After leaving we returned to Shamian Island.  It is so nice going here and it brings back so many happy memories of when we adopted Mary Bailey and Anneli.  We went in few shops.  For those traveling soon - A Gift from China accepts charge cards.  All proceeds from their sale goes to charity.  Jenny's shop accept American money.  A friend had asked us to pick up a dress for her daughter so we purchased one at Jenny's.  Jenny was very nice and friendly.  Across from her shop is a shop called Sherry's.  If you want squeaky shoes either of these would be excellent choices.  They are around $7-$8 US.  Jenny's silk dresses are $8.  As we had been eating noodles/rice/dumplings from the Jusco deli we wanted something different so we ate at Lucy's on the island.  This was the first restaurant where we ate after receiving Mary Bailey.  We clearly remembered ordering her the mashed potatoes from their "Baby Menu".  This was the first food we fed her.  We also ate there when adopting Li-Li.  It was fun feeding Maya Grace a bowl of mashed potatoes from Lucy's too!  I had a hamburger and fries.  The beef did not look like what I am used to in a hamburger. Not real sure what it was nor am I sure that I really want to know.
We returned to the hotel room for nap time.  I then took the girls to play in the hotel playroom while Billy went out for more noodles/rice/dumplings for dinner.  

Maya Grace is continuing to do beautifully.  She has fully attached to me and will let Billy feed her but if he tries to hold her she arches her back, whimpers, and searches for me.  She is sleeping with me and is sleeping all night long.  She naps well too.  She is jabbering and likely saying words but since we do not speak Mandarin or Cantonese we do now know what she is saying.  If we say simple words to her she will repeat them to us.   She is making eye contact with me for several seconds at a time.  She engages in play with toys.  The girls love her.  I have not seen any signs of jealousy with them at all.  Anneli told me that if you could have "100 presents for Christmas or Maya that she would choose Maya!"  Anneli also told me that she "did not realize that Maya would be so much fun".  I expected Maya to be larger than she is and more mature than she is.  Even though she is over 2 1/2 she is still so much like a baby.  She is still in diapers and the orphanage had not started potty training yet.  She is still on a bottle.  She will feed herself small items like Cheerios or Puffs but with other food we have to feed her.  I can't wait for each morning for her to wake up and for her to wake at nap time.  She has completely stolen my heart!  Oh and the child LOVES my cell phone.  She will point to it and say "aya" over and over which I assume means "give it to me now".  

My next post will be about our orphanage visit as I am still a few days behind on blogging.  It will be emotionally draining for me to compose but I must tell what I saw in hopes that others who read it may find it in their hearts to help the innocent ones still waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the dress!!!!! I am so glad she is sleeping and eating. That is great news for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a lucky little lady to have a forever family like yours. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete